Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Do you want a second life? No,I don't

When I was in secondary school, my dream job is architecture. I love to see a beautiful house and landscape. I have always dream to work within that industry but it will never happen. It is because I hate Math, so that is it. How can architecture fail math? That unfriendly subject at school faded my dream away. I am now studying something completely different but I am happy with it. So, why do people want a second life?

By the way, what do people really want in life? Money, house, car, mobile phone, a good job or a happy life. I am the youngest child in the family, so I get whatever I want. But there is still thing that my parents are enabling to support. And my mum used to say that ‘People won’t be able to get everything they want’. At that time, I thought it is not true because I always get what I want. However, I started to realize as I grew up that my mum was right. Also, I was a kid once and I used to be addicted to video game. I grew up with my younger cousin. He is a boy. We play exactly the same game and toy. At the time a play station was very new, so as a kid we were very excited and after that we had become addicting to it. As a young age we suppose to run under a hot sun but we spend most of our time inside the house. I have always thought back on those days. Why won’t I play as a kid?

Similarly, Second Life is another great example of how people turn away from a good thing in a real world. Second Life is a 3D virtual world developed by Linda Lap, which she now had become a millionaire. This online society offers a lot of opportunity for people who need to step their life away from a reality. This is where technology has taken an important part of human life and behaviour. It is where people can be whoever they like and do whatever they want. Furthermore, users have a chance to create their own character call ‘avatar’. The members are enabling to choose body type, skin color, hair style, face or even a gender. Second Life avoided traffic by allowing users to fly from one place to other within a second. This is called ‘teleport’. Everything seems to be very easy and convenience in that digital interact world.

As an article by Jeremy Goldkorn in 2006, one of Chinese woman has become a millionaire in real life by selling a fake land and house in Second Life. She is the first virtual millionaire. According to Goldkorn, Hubei-born Ailin Graef, known in Second Life as Anshe Chung, runs her virtual real estate agency, Anshe Chung Studios, with her husband Guntram Graef. They offer land and houses in places like Dreamland Asia, the Mainland, Gothica, and Furriers. This proved that Meadows statement about this online community is true. Meadows argue that experiences create a grounding of belief. “People in virtual worlds build things, use them, sell them, trade them and discuss them. When another person confirms what I am seeing, places value on it, spends time working to pay for it, buys it, keeps it, uses it, talks about it, gets emotional about it, and then sells it – this tells me there is something real happening. The suspension of disbelief has become a grounding of belief”

How can online money become real? This is unbelievable. Personally, the different between Second Life and reality is such a huge gap. I believe that a real experience is such a valuable thing. I would not be able to identify a real taste of Indian food, if I have never touched it. How can you tell the different between face to face interviews compare to typing and answering thought online communication. It is different. I also believe that being you is the most valuable thing. To say the true I sometime want to be like my older sister. But I am happy with the way I am now, even though I am quite a lazy girl; however people can change.

I understand that people want the best for their life. They want to be someone or something that is incredibly hard to achieve, so they sign in with Second Life. It gives a chance for people who want something more in life which they cannot achieve or do in real life. It is good that people have a goal and determinations. It is not wrong to involve in virtual world but not for me. I have been realized how much time I spend on the Internet each day. It kills the time for my assignment. I better take a good management for my first life before starting to create a second life.

No comments:

Post a Comment