Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Broadcast Yourself

Internet offers many different kind of information. It offers people the useful information to the most non-sense issue. There are lot of information provided on the internet. I always go on internet to look for something. My favourite singer song lyric or a photo of my favourite place. It is up to date and fast. As being an overseas student in Australia internet is a valuable source. I used internet for a couple reason entertainment, news and education. In order to keep myself update with a situation in my country internet is the right place.

Youtube is always a place I wander around every time I’m on the internet. Youtube seems to be a popular topic for a part few years. My latest entry was also about Youtube. Likewise, I am still focusing with it this week. Even though, I use internet for many reason but one of the are that I have never touch is ‘politics’. As I stated in my earlier entry that I always close my eyes and ears whenever this topic appear in front of me. I still see politic as a boring story. However, since my country is dealing with political issue at the moment. I am starting to pay attention on it.

I begin to watch my country political situation on Youtube. This website is actually change people life. Youtube can be used effectively by any industry. Politic is also one of the industries that effectively used this online page. According to Paul Levinson book, Youtube’s trademark, along with it logo, ‘Broadcast Youself’ allow people to explore their idea and ability with anything. This site is usually used by political parties and politicians but there is also the danger of political figures being subjected to ridicule through satire and parody (Blackboard, view 2010).

Have you ever seen this video clip? If not, please check it out.




What are benefits? This parody video of Barrack Obama actually changes his life. This clip was published on Youtube in June 2007 and attracted over 17,636,281 people from around the world right now (Youtube, view 2010). The video, at the very least, showed, Obama as someone cool, interesting and attractive. The trend held trough the November, 2008 general election, in which at least 50 percent of 18-to-29 year-olds voted in America for the first time since 1972, and 66 percent of them voted for Obama. Obama was elected to be a recent President of United State of America because of this parody clip. This is unbelievable. I have to say that Youtube is such a powerful medium even in political area. It gives a chance for people to show their talent and ability, with somebody actually achieve their dream by posting a clip on the site.

What about the disadvantage? According to Crush on Obama clip, there are also video clip that relate to politic but representing in a negative way. Youtube allow everyone to be a producer, so people can do whatever they like. It is free and open space for everyone. Anything recorded via any audiovisual device is a candidate for universal dissemination on Youtube (Levinson, P. 2009). I also agreed with Levinson that Youtube clip stay in publish for years – in effect, forever. Let’s watch this video. Personally, I will be mad if I am Sarah Palin. This clip kills an image of her. How would you feel if someone is making fun of yourself? Would you feel happy? I don’t think so. I also think that this will be able to ruin her career.



I think Youtube offer both advantage and disadvantage. It is a good place to share ideas and knowledge but for political I think Youtube is not a save place. They will not be able to control the producer around the world. Politicians have to be careful with this technology. Can this be one of culture jamming? Yes, it can be, by making fun of famous people and embarrassed them. This is how culture jamming work. Human invented this technology for our convenience and entertainment but now we have defended ourself from it. How pathetic? Social media is such an open space, especially for people involve with public issue like politician, actor, singer or celebrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment