Sunday, May 2, 2010

Producer VS Produser

How many Youtube video have you seen per day? My answer is uncountable. I am addicted to Youtube. I found it like an amusement park that offer lots of thing to be involve. There are many different things that wait for me to explore. I watch Youtube everyday. I watch more than 10 videos per day. Is that insane? I think Youtube is where people have an opportunity to bring out their talent or ability. It is also a place that people are able to learn something new. I think Youtube is a place that offer people knowledge as well as entertainment issue.



I actually learn Korean and by watching Youtube’s clip. I watched TV show that my favourite Korean singer or actor and actress appeared as a guest. I learn their everyday conversation. It also makes me pay for Korean language class. There is also a parody video clip that caught my attention. Those parody clips are all fantastic. I think they are very creative, even though it’s not their original idea and work. The original one is good but those parodies offer something different.

According to Bruns (2008) “There is an absence of producers, distributors, or consumers, and the presence of a seemingly endless string of users acting incrementally as content producers by gradually extending and improving the information present in the information commons, the value chain begins and ends (but only temporarily, ready for further development) with content.” Have you ever heard of this word “produsage”? What is it? According to produsage.org, in the online, networked, information economy, participants are not simply passive consumers, but active users, with some of them participating more strongly with a focus only on their own personal use, some of them participating more strongly in ways which are inherently constructive and productive of social networks and communal content. These latter users occupy a hybrid position of being both users and what in traditional terms would have to be described loosely as producers: they are productive users, or produsers, engaged in the act of produsage.

I think Youtube is a great sample of produsage. It is a place where people can throw their idea around on wether it’s their original work or parody. This video clip ‘Hitler find out there is no Santa’ is such a wonderful example. There are 208,405 watched this video and more than 50 comments. People who create this video see as a creative thinker to me. I think this kind of work need a load of creative skill. She or He uses a benefit out of the original producer. However, these kinds of video clip can say as a stolen piece of idea or work. They extend and improve the original work and it is still view by many people around the world. Also, I agreed that the value chain begins and ends with the content.



This kind of work is such a new form of media product. It cost cheaper and easier to access. There is no copyright to worry about. People can view it anytime and everywhere. However, it is not the right thing to do, as if you think back to the original producer. How much time do they spend on each project? How much research do they have to do when filming just one 2-3 minutes TV commercial, music video or movie? How much do they need to pay for the location of filming? How much time do they spend on the script? If you think of this kind of question, you will feel very sorry for them. I felt bad for them to see their work get stolen, even though I enjoy it so much. Again I think technology offer many opportunity for people to do thing. Technology allows us to make thing easier and faster but it also bring back painfulness to some people. I think it is very hurtful when seeing your idea has been taken by others. Personally, that is how technology pays back on us and we cannot escape from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment