Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mummy, I want my iPhone


Are you addicted to mobile phone? How long have you been on mobile phone per day? How many text messages you text per day? Have you ever get tired of talking on mobile phone? For myself, I rarely talk on mobile phone. I prefer face to face communication. This may sound strange to people living in 21st century but I found it annoying. I had my first mobile phone when I was 14, which a couple years ago. I am now in my early twenty. My uncle bought it for me because I was going to study aboard. I still remember how excited I felt at that time. However, I still cannot live without the mobile phone. I will be nervous for all day if I left my mobile at home. When did mobile phone become so important to human life?

From that time on, I just realized that mobile phone had developed into a higher technology. Everyone has mobile phone that contains camera, radio, video or e-mail. We have the technology that people use to read, write, see, hear and produce new new media–the device, in other word, that we hold in our hands when we work and play with new new media. A desktop, laptop, or cellphone or cellphone-like device is engaged any time someone reads or writes a blog, views a video on Youtube or sends and receives a tweet (Levinson, P. 2009). I am totally agreed with this idea. It is a feature that offers by new new media.

This lead to a topic of this week – Will the mobile phone screen become the dominant screen of the 21st century? Do we really need another screen to view movies, take photos, design art and access the Internet? What do you think? When iPhone was launched, I desperately want to get one. One of my friend got iPhone only one week after it launch. She kept telling me how good iPhone is and she was trying to encourage me to buy one. This video clip from Youtube shows how much technology has overcome people live. People became mad about new technology that would make their life trendier, easier and faster. According to Levinson, we would say that, with the iPhone, for the first time, we had a technology specifically designed to enable not just new media but new new media literally at the user’s disposal, any place the user happen to be.



Personally, those application offers by smart phone are essential. I found it as an entertainment tool. I have to take the train to university and it takes me one hour to get there. I don’t like to sleep on the train, so those applications provide by new technology on mobile phone help a lot. I can listen to music, watch video, chatting on Facebok or look up latest photo of my friend with only one small item. I think mobile phone offer convenience for people. Mobile phone is such a time killer. It’s killing those boring time while riding the train. A wireless device, wether cellphone, Blackberry or iPhone, makes all of those formerly useless places useful (Levinson, P. 2009). I can also store my favourite movie scene and watch them while I am on the train.

New technologies get ever smaller and more powerful (Levinson, P. 2009). On of my friend is not writing down her appointment or any information anymore. She rather uses her Blackberry to take a photo of it. She would take a photo of document she wants to print. It is convenience but what if her mobile phone dies? What will she do? This is one of negative side of those smartie items. Since iPhone, Blackberry and other smartphone offers many tool and function, people decrease their interest in other media such as cinema, newspaper, book or TV. I think this shows a negative effect to our way of living. For example, I used to read newspaper to get myself update with the world current issue but I am now checking everything on the Internet. It saves time and money but I read less than before. As people do not read article on the website but there are actually scanning it. I will look for information that I want to know and that’s it. I move on to other website.

For me, those application offers by iPhone, Blackberry or other mobile technology are useful. It is not wrong to use another screen to view movies, take photos, design art and access the Internet. However, we need to control ourself when using it because they may cause trouble for other people. It takes us only a few minutes to download the movie from the Internet. Let’s think about those producers who spend time writing a script and filming for years. Also, paparazzi photos are all taken by this small technology.

This video clip calls ‘Micro Movie’. It is a short film which user can download and store them into their own smartphone. The quality is great. The story line is fantastic. It short and powerful just like mobile phone small but powerful.



Credit: http://www.northeastmovies.co.uk/films/1684/the-piper-at-the-gates-of-dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment