Sunday, May 23, 2010

Documentary, a small part in media industry

All time favorite documentary



I watched film, animation, cartoon and TV series but I rarely watch documentary. I can count a number of documentaries I watched per years. Documentary ranks at the bottom for my favourite media product. However, one of the most memorable documentaries for me is ‘March of the Penguins’. The documentary is so touching. I cried every time I watch it. Even though, there is no story line or script, it was fabulous. March of the Penguins was released in 2005, which $ 127 millions of American viewer (Thomas & Wilma de, 2008). It is usually hard for film documentary to attract such a huge amount of audience. There was another documentary I watched in high school, which a couple years back, but I cannot remember it. As a young teenager, I found documentary is such a boring entertainment product; however, my opinion changes as I grown up.

Documentary becomes one of tool that provides enormous knowledge. Have you ever seen the documentary called ‘Inside undercover in North Korea? This National Geographic’s documentary will make you treasure your own country. You will be grateful to be born outside North Korea. Documentary gives different feeling with film. It offers a realistic story and environment. There is an absent of Hollywood star. I think this is one of the reasons that documentary does not reach what they are aiming for. According to Ana Vicente (2008:271), the relatively uncommercial aspects of documentary throughout history have forced the genre to the continuous search for its ideal platform. Documentary is not a money maker as much as film. By referring back to March of the Penguins, there were only a few successful documentaries from 2002 -2006.

Thomas & Wilma de, 2008

A major effect of documentary is fund, distributed and viewed; however new technology offer more chance for documentary maker. Advance in technology first changed the way in which film produced; now, technology advance are transforming the way in which the film reach their audience (Thomas & Wilma de, 2008). Film that always superior documentary stand in the same position. By having new cheap and convenience platform – VoD (DVD and Video on Demand) to gain audience as a long establish business models for documentaries.


How about online documentary? I think online documentary offer a great opportunity for people to do a freedom of speech. Technology is still the main scenario for this. In the context of this burgeon doing world of online video, documentary has a place, but it has to be consider in a wider sense than in film and on television (Thomas & Wilma de, 2008). There is a limit in length and amateur production value. Everything will be found and download online. This makes the Internet become hero. I have been watching one of documentary from my country. He would update his clip every week. I have never imagines to enjoy and have fun with someone daily life story but its fun and enjoyable. It became everyday activity for many people, which we can call them ‘vlogging’. It is a great idea of throwing your though to public. Youtube is the most valuable place for those online documentary film makers.

Here is my favourite online documentary maker. He gives funny conversation. The video was record during red shirt protest in Thailand. I think this is benefit of online documentary. It give an ability for people to talk or comment on everything, even though it risky. Personally, I think online documentary maker wants to share their experience with others around the world. Sometime, their story can be useful, some people may learn from their freedom of speech.



There is no right or wrong to publish your thought through online documentary. It is a potential for all voices to be heard as the Internet is such an open space. You would not know a number of people go online during midnight. It allows word to spread from one to other. I think online documentary provide a space for people to speak freely. People can show their true feeling toward many issues. It is also show other side of the world that we might not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment